Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Dear Diary, I'm finally here...




December 14th, 1932
  Dear Diary,
  I'm finally here. India, my home, is over 8,000 miles away. Everyone I know is across the Coloradan mountains, over the endless Pacific, and on the other side of the enormous country of China. 
  I arrived at the Bluebridge Home for Girls last night. Mr. and Mrs. McGrady, the orphanage keepers, seem friendly. They said I could stay and help with some of the cleaning and cooking. I hope to do more than that though.
  The girls are all darling. I hope I can get acquainted with each and every one of them during my time here. After all, each of them has their own story. Some of them are even from the Salem Orphange...
  I don't know how long my time here is, so I hope to get started as soon as I can. After all, if I can be called to go to Colorado as suddenly as I was, I'm sure I can be called away just as fast. Truly, no one can understand God's ways. 
  I wonder how Mama Sarah and Papa Robert are doing. I wrote to them when I first landed in America, but I really ought to write again, to let them know my address. Oh, how I miss them! Last night as I lay in bed, I recalled the morning I left India. They and several other families from the mission house had accompanied me to the train station, and as we waited for the train to pull away, they sang from the sidewalk, "God Be With You Till We Meet Again." That song is one of the most beautiful and touching songs I can think of. It was so special to have them all waving as the train pulled out of the station and slowly chugged away. I waved until they were long out of sight, my eyes watering as I thought of the many months it would most likely be until I saw them again. 
  Well, the sun is dawning over the horizon, and I want to go see what I can help Mrs. McGrady with. I hope I can be a blessing to her, rather than a burden. I know I'll be another mouth to feed, but hopefully I can work enough to make up for that.
  I'll be sure to write in here again soon!
 -Evangeline

No comments:

Post a Comment